Man dead after standoff with police


By Whitney Vickers

[email protected]

FAIRBORN — A Fairborn man is dead after a standoff with police Monday.

Rouven Loch, 22, was shot and killed by an officer after Loch exited a Fairborn residence with a M&P Model 45 .177 pellet gun pointed toward officers following a standoff with police, according to a Fairborn Police report. The report said the pellet gun is similar to a Smith & Wesson M&P 45 handgun.

The Fairborn Police Department was asked to assist Dayton Police Department detectives in locating Loch, who was under suspicion of committing robbery, according to police. He was found in the 1300 block of Eastview Drive approximately 2:21 p.m. Monday.

Reports stated Fairborn detectives contacted Loch via telephone regarding the robbery investigations, to which he allegedly refused to exit the residence, saying he had a handgun. After an hour of unsuccessful communication, police reported that the Regional Emergency Response Team was also called to the scene.

Police attempted to negotiate a safe surrender, but Loch again said he had a handgun and three loaded magazines and that he was not going back to prison, according to police. According to our partners at WDTN, tear gas was used after more attempts were made to have Loch exit on his own.

According to police, Loch then exited the residence. After being struck by a single shot, Loch was transported to Miami Valley Hospital. The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office confirmed that Loch died after the standoff.

The Special Investigations Unit of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations is now investigating the incident. After the BCI investigation concludes, the Fairborn Police Department will conduct its own internal review. Police said officers will undergo mandated psychological support counseling, similar to all police-involved shootings, and will be afforded leave time in order to recover from the experience.

The names of the involved officers are not being released while the investigation is ongoing. However, a report said the officer, currently on leave, has 18 years of experience with the Fairborn Police Department and is a member of the Regional Emergency Response Team.

Loch from a 2014 arrest. from a 2014 arrest.

The gun on the top is an M&P Pellet Gun. The gun on the bottom is a Smith & Wesson M&P 45. gun on the top is an M&P Pellet Gun. The gun on the bottom is a Smith & Wesson M&P 45.

Whitney Vickers can be reached by calling her directly at 937-502-4532 or on Twitter, @wnvickers. For more content online, visit our website or like our Facebook page.

No posts to display