MVRC offering tax help for veterans


HUBER HEIGHTS — Military Veterans Resource Center is partnering with the Ohio Benefit Bank to offer free income tax filing assistance to military veterans and spouses who fall within certain income guidelines.

Couples filing jointly must have an adjusted gross income of $95,000 or less for the 2016 tax year. Everyone else must have an adjusted gross income of $65,000 or less.

Veterans will need to bring a valid photo ID, their DD-214 (or other evidence of military service), and their income tax records. Those who do not bring the necessary documentation will not be able to file. A full list of required documents is available at

Refunds may take longer to reach veterans due to the implementation of the Protecting Americans From Tax Hikes (PATH) Act which requires the the IRS to hold tax refunds for people claiming the Earned Income Credit (EIC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit until at least Feb. 15. New identity theft and anti-fraud measures may also cause delays.

Along with tax assistance, veterans can also apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) which helps eligible Ohioans pay their home energy bill.

The free tax filing service is available until April 18 at MVRC’s Dayton office, 5420 Brandt Pike in Huber Heights. Contact Kelley Koons at 937-329-9559 or [email protected] for more details. The Ohio Benefit Bank is a program of the Ohio Association of Food banks.

Greene County News

Story courtesy of the Military Veterans Resource Center.

No posts to display