Hero remembers Pearl Harbor


By Danielle Coots

For the News-Current

BEAVERCREEK — Preston Ashford Parham always knew he was going to join the Navy, but what he didn’t know was what was going to happen with his life after becoming a hero. At the beginning of adulthood, his world changed in one second the morning of Dec. 7, 1941 after the first shots at Pearl Harbor. This historical event would shape his future.

Parham was born Dec. 15, 1921 in Darvills, Va.

When he decided to join the military as a minor – therefore one of his parents was going to have to sign a waiver. But which one? His mother refused – she didn’t want to have her son in danger. “So, I went to my dad. He signed it,” Parham said.

On Feb. 26, 1940, he rode the bus to Richmond, Va. to enlist. Shortly thereafter, he was shipped off to Norfolk for six weeks basic training.

After basic training, he was stationed on USS St. Louis — later commonly known as “Lucky Lou.” It was one of the few ships in the harbor that didn’t sustain any damage during the Pearl Harbor attack. No one on his ship was injured during the attack, unlike the other two ships that were anchored next to their ship.

“The ship took more than two hours to build up enough steam to be able to leave port,” he said. “So, we just kept shooting at anything and everything. Most of the ammo was locked up so anything we could find, we fired, especially automatics.”

Parham’s duty station starting out on the USS St. Louis as Seaman 2nd Class, was the powder room of gun turret 4.

On the morning of the historical event, “I just woke up and was still in bed reading a magazine when the alarm went off,” Parham said. “Alarms alerted us to go to our battle stations. I knew something happened the minute I got there. I didn’t hear or see anything because I was on the lower deck of the ship. The officers explained the situation through the radio,” Parham said.

The young Navy man stayed in the powder room loading ammo for the guns for hours later until their ship was out of the harbor and out of the canal.

“I didn’t get to come out until about lunchtime,” he added.

The ammo weighed more than 100 pounds and his job included sending it up to be shot off.

The Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor was a big surprise to the Navy because ships were shut down for holiday and the ammo was locked up. The majority of the Pacific Naval ships were docked in this United States Naval base. In later years, this practice was terminated. This attack solidified the American’s involvement in World War II.

“After the ship steamed up, we started moving out of the bay. About two to three hours later, I was given a break. By the time I was able to get out of the powder room and could go up to deck, I couldn’t see the any of the damage or the battle area because we were out of the general area and we didn’t go back,” he said.

In addition to having breaks, Purham spent the next three days after the attack on Pearl Harbor in the powder room — his general quarters. It wasn’t long that the Navy formed a task force and started tracking the Japenese.

After Pearl Harbor, Parham continued serving on the USS St. Louis and he fought battles including Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, Kula Gulf and Kolombagara. In 1944, he left St. Louis and boarded USS Pasadena then USS Indiana in 1945 until his discharge in 1946.

“Aboard the USS Pasadena, part of a fast carrier task force, I was engaged in battles in Luzon, Formosa, China Coast, Nansei, Shoto, and Honshu,” he said. He was also on duty and present on the Pasadena in Tokyo Bay with the Third Fleet during the signing of surrender on Sept. 2, 1945.

Parham’s Naval career lead to him being awarded the American Defense Service Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal, eight bronze-silver battle stars, the Good Conduct Medal and World War II Victory Medal.

“I survived because I was on the Lucky Lou,” he said.

After being discharged from the Navy, he went back home to stay with his parents. When he got home, he found that his mother had taken in a young woman boarder. Her name was Hazel Irene Whitehead. She worked at the Naval Hospital and needed a place to stay that was close to work. She was a secretary for the orthopedic wing. She was young and dating a man named Joe.

Parham’s daughter, Karen Parham-Foster said that her dad’s little sister told Ms. Whitehead, “When you see my brother, you’ll forget all about your boyfriend Joe.” And that’s exactly what happened. That’s when their story began. They married in 1948, after Parham graduated from Embry Riddle School of Aviation in Daytona Beach, Fla. as an aircraft engine mechanic. He worked and retired from the Naval air station in Virginia.

Together, he and Hazel had two daughters, five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

They lived in Virginia. His wife passed away on year ago on 9/11. He remained in Virginia until August 2012, after his 90th birthday. He then moved to Beavercreek to be closer to his daughter. He is currently living at Pristine Senior Living and Post Care of Beavercreek.

In December, Parham’s family is taking him back to Pearl Harbor. He hasn’t been back since that historical day.

Danielle Coots | News-Current Preston Ashford Parham remembers his time in Pearl Harbor the veteran will revist Pearl Harbor with his family.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2016/09/web1_NEWDSC_0002.jpgDanielle Coots | News-Current Preston Ashford Parham remembers his time in Pearl Harbor the veteran will revist Pearl Harbor with his family.

Danielle Coots is a freelance writer for Greene County News.

No posts to display