FAIRBORN — The Fairborn Area Historical Society was no stranger to Greene County History Week as it hosted events highlighting Fairborn’s story throughout the workdays and held its first walking tour Saturday, June 25.
A small group, including new citizens and those who lived in the community when Fairborn was young, started the tour by gathering at the Fairborn Library. All were eager to share their personal knowledge and learn more about their city.
Society leaders explained that one of the first log cabins was built in the Fairborn area in 1799 by William Cozad. That structure still exists, and is now known as the Mercer Smith House. Fairborn itself was formed later in the early 1950s from the joining of two other cities, Fairfield and Osborn, according to the Fairborn Area Historical Society.
The group’s leaders explained that Fairborn’s library was constructed in 1938, but was originally meant to serve as the second post office in the former Osborn area. In the past, there was a post office on Broad Street that served Fairfield. There was also a building next to the Osborn Post Office that served at the fire station.
The Fairborn Area Historical Society highlighted the Wright View area’s back story during the tour. Society leaders explained that during World War II, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base needed workers, so many people from Kentucky came to the area to go to work. They received building materials from the local lumber companies and built houses. Some came up to work and then went back to Kentucky. However, many stayed and made their homes in the area, which is how Wright View became known as little Kentucky, according to the society.
Society leaders hosted the tour in hopes that they were able “to teach people about the history of this town,” they said. They are hoping to expand the tour in the future to include other important Fairborn historical sites; more tours and events are in the process of being planned.