Herald News Report
FAIRBORN — The City of Fairborn is seeking citizens to serve on various advisory boards and committees. Vacancies created by resignations and expiration of terms on Dec. 31 of this year, will be as follows:
– Mayor’s Beautification Committee (three full three-year terms and two unexpired terms to Dec. 31, 2016) – Serves in an advisory capacity to council and other municipal bodies in actions or matters where legal or aesthetic requirements or standards affecting the appearance of buildings and grounds are involved. Meets 7 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of each month.
– Neighborhood Betterment Council (two full three-year terms) – Advises city council on methods of assisting the city’s low and moderate income residents, particularly through the use of Federal Community Development Block Grant Funds. Meets monthly – day of week depending on members’ schedules.
– Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (five full three-year terms, one unexpired term to Dec. 31, 2016 and one unexpired term to Dec. 31, 2017) – Advises city council in matters concerning maintenance and development of city parks, reviews land dedication proposals submitted by plat developers and submits recommendations to council, assists at all special events. Meets 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of the month.
– Personnel Advisory Board (one full three-year term) – Hears grievances of city employees in accordance with the personnel rules and regulations, reviews proposals to reclassify or establish positions within the classified services. Meets as needed.
– Planning Board (two full three-year terms) – May make recommendations to the city manager and city council on all matters affecting the physical growth and development of the city, reviews proposals for new plats and requests for conditional use permits and applications for rezoning. Meets the second Tuesday of each month and the fourth Tuesday as needed.
– Zoning Board of Appeals (one full five-year term) – Hears and decides appeals from administrative decisions in the enforcement and interpretation of the zoning code of the city, hears petitions for variances from the zoning code where exceptions or unusual circumstances applying to the property in question exist, hears requests for variances to flood plain regulations. Meets 6:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month as needed.
Contact the city manager’s office at 937-754-3030 for more information. Applications will be reviewed and considered by city council prior to any appointments. Applicants for hearing boards (Community Reinvestment Area Housing Council, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals) are subject to personal interview prior to appointment.
Applications are available at the Fairborn Government Center City Administration, 44 West Hebble Avenue, or can be made through the city’s web site at www.ci.fairborn.oh.us. Applications need to be returned to the city manager’s office no later than Oct. 16.
Herald News Report compiled by Whitney Vickers.