Greene County News Report
XENIA TOWNSHIP — The public is invited to join local officials as they dedicate the historic Stevenson Road Covered Bridge Friday morning. At the ceremony to be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 4, officials will also unveil a historical marker and host a ribbon cutting at the site, 1898 Stevenson Road, Xenia.
The structure is a Smith Truss bridge manufactured by the Smith Bridge Company in 1873. The company was originally located in Tippecanoe, now Tipp City, before moving to Toledo in the 1880.
After many years years of wear and tear and vandalism, the bridge was restored to preserve its historic value. Partial funding for the project came through a grant awarded by the US Department of Transportation in 2012. The federal funds ($520,000) paid for about 80 percent of the project (in total originally estimated to be $660,000). The federal funds came as part of the National Historical Covered Bridge Preservation Program. County funds made up the remaining 20 percent of the project.
The covered bridge, which spans Massie’s Creek in Xenia Township, is now little more than a historical display, as traffic crosses the creek via a modern, concrete bridge. The bridge is now only load rated for pedestrian traffic.
According to a release from Greene County Engineer Bob Geyer, the bridge will be lit at night and will have electronic surveillance.
“It is hoped that the people of Greene County will treasurer these structures as they represent a rich transportation history that is local from fabrication to construction,” the release stated.
Restoration of the Stevenson Road Covered Bridge follows the restoration of the covered bridge on Engle Mill Road in Caesarscreek Township and precedes plans to restore the covered bridge on Ballard Road in New Jasper Township starting next year.
Greene County News Report compiled by Nathan Pilling.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU