FAIRBORN — The Fairborn Fire Department fought a fire last month that is now believed to be caused by arson. Officials are now offering a $5,000 reward for individuals who can offer information relating to the flames that engulfed the former home that sat at 22 N. First St.
Fairborn Fire Chief Mike Riley said the house was unoccupied at the time of the fire May 25, which raises red flags in relation to the cause, he said. No utilities were active in the 100-year-old home when the fire started.
Crews were dispatched approximately 6:30 a.m. and battled flames until about 1 p.m. Firefighters checked and realized that the home was unoccupied, so crews put out the fire without entering the home.
Fairborn Fire Division Chief David Reichert described it as a “defensive operation.” However, the size of the two-story home left plenty of space for flames to hide. The fire load created a need for the Fairborn Fire Department to call for mutual aid from the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Beavercreek and Huber Heights Fire Departments, who provided additional manpower and resources.
Arson is a felony offense. The Ohio Blue Ribbon Arson Committee is offering the reward to the individual with information leading to an arrest in the arson.
Anyone with information are urged to contact the Fairborn Police or Fire Departments. The non-emergency line for the Fairborn Police Department is 937-745-3000; the non-emergency fire line is 937-754-3080.
Reach Whitney Vickers at 937-502-4532.