NEW JASPER TOWNSHIP — The last project in a series of historic covered bridge restoration efforts in Greene County is set to be completed by the fall, according to County Engineer Bob Geyer.
The Ballard Road Covered Bridge, which was built in 1883, will cost about $485,500 to be restored. Federal funds will make up 80 percent of the project while county funds will make up the remaining 20 percent.
According to Geyer, restoration efforts on the Howe truss bridge, which sits on North Ballard Road in New Jasper Township, will consist of taking the bridge apart and putting it back together again with new pieces.
“It’ll be a matter of taking the roof off, taking the sides off, holding it up … and replacing members that need replaced, and then putting a new roof on and putting new siding on it…,” he said.
The project follows restoration efforts at the Stevenson Road and Engle Mill Road covered bridges in recent years.
“Just trying to save history,” Geyer said. “These bridges were built back in the 1800s. We don’t have a whole lot of things left around here built in the 1800s. We’ve torn them all down and built new. Once history’s gone, you can’t bring it back.”
Reach Nathan Pilling at 937-502-4498 or on Twitter @XDGNatePilling.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU