Greene County News
MONTGOMERY, Ind. — A record-setting opening round propelled Cedarville University to the NCCAA Midwest Region men’s golf championship at the Country Oaks Golf Club.
With the victory, the Yellow Jackets automatically qualified for the NCCAA Championship, Oct. 24-26 in Panama City Beach, Fla..
CU tied the 18-hole school record with a 285 in the first round and then tacked on a 300 in the final round. The 585 total is the second-best 36-hole score in program history. Grace College (Ind.), 598, was 13 shots back in second place, while host Oakland City was third at 602.
Jordan Reese was regional runner-up with a 68-73-141. His opening round, a career-best 4-under par, tied for the second-lowest round all-time at Cedarville.
“We played really well these last four rounds and the guys remained consistent,” said Chris Reese, director of golf operations. “It was great to see. We minimized our mistakes, put the ball in good spots, and that led to some low scores. It’s great to win the NCCAA regional and we look forward to going to Chicago next week for the Division II fall regional.”
Carter Ehms shot a career-best 70 to go along with a 76 for 146 to finish fifth. Freshman Jared Hoelzen entered the line-up and placed sixth with a 73-75-148. Taylor Holt shot 74-77-151 while John Sandlas turned in 76-76-152.
Three Jackets played as individuals: Jeremy Royer (80-78-158), Jacob Adams (81-78-159), and Hayden James (79-84-163).
• The Yellow Jackets’ last conference, district, or regional title of any kind was the 1990 NCCAA District III Tournament.
• Reese has played his last four rounds in 7-under par.
• The other team to shoot 285 was Scott Aker (69), Adam Schlappi (69), Trevor Bowman (73), and Dan Atkeson (74) in the 2007 Cedarville Invitational.
• The school 36-hole record for a team is 289-292-581, which was set at the 2009 Shawnee State Invitational.
• Ehms’ previous career-low was a 75 shot in last year’s Yellow Jacket Fall Invitational.
Greene County News report compiled by Scott Halasz.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU