My “Honey Do” List will be briefly suspended from time to time to provide readers other items of interest and time-critical information. This first interruption will present historical evidence on why authoritarian and totalitarian governments are to be feared; they have murdered more of their own people (democide) in the last century than the total of causalities from all international and civil wars combined in that same time period.
The estimates of causalities were compiled by political scientist R. J. Rummel and presented in his book, Death by Government. His findings show 15 regimes killed 151 million people – almost four times those killed in battles. The more absolute and powerful the governments, the more people it killed. Communist in the USSR, China and Vietnam; the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia; Nazi Germany and Tito’s Communist Yugoslavia accounted for 84 percent of those fatalities – 128 million people.
Similar figures have been presented in the past, but this is the first time this author has seen them tied to regimes that lied to their populations. The governments above had little fear they would be confronted with the truth.
In his book, Rummel paraphrases Lord Action and observes:
Power kills, absolute Power kills absolutely…. The more power a government has, the more it can act arbitrarily according to the whims and desires of the elite, and the more it will make war on others and murder its foreign and domestic subjects. The more constrained the power of governments, the more power is diffused, checked, and balanced, the less it will aggress on others and commit democide.(1)
What about our own government? Has it lied to us? A quick look at Obamalies.net revealed over 100 lies candidate and President Obama has told the American public. Candidate Obama said, among other things:
- Have troops out of Iraq by 31 Mar 2009
- My father served in WWII
- I’ll get rid of earmarks
- I have visited all 57 states
- No more wiretapping of citizens
- Bypassing congress unconstitutional; I intend to reverse when I am president
And we elected him President. Only to be told:
- I am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage
- Cut deficit in half by end of first term
- The healthcare package will pay for itself
- If you like the health care plan you have you can keep it
- No signing statements to nullify or undermine congressional instructions enacted into law
- Fence between US and Mexico is “Practically Complete”
- Benghazi violence was caused by an internet video & demonstration
- I said Benghazi was a terrorist attack from the beginning
- The NSA is not abusing its power
- (IRS) Not even a smidgen of corruption
President Obama has also amassed more power than previous presidents. He can declare anyone a terrorist threat and have them imprisoned (without indictment or trial) until the War on Terror is declared over. He has killed people, including American citizens, with drone missile strikes without due process of law as required by the 5th Amendment.
Perhaps it is time to stop saying, “It can’t happen here.”
(1) Heiser, Rt. Rev. James D., “The Truth – Our Only Weapon Against Lies,” The New American, 7 Jul 2014, pp 35-40.
Al Kuchinka is a local resident and columnist.