FAIRBORN — The City of Fairborn is seeking citizens to serve on Fairborn advisory boards and committees.
Applications are available at the Fairborn Government Center City Administration, 44 West Hebble Ave., or can be made through the city’s website at www.ci.fairborn.oh.us. Applications are due Monday, Nov. 27.
Vacancies created by resignation and expiration of terms on Dec. 31 include:
– Board of Tax Appeals (one three-year term, one unexpired term to Dec. 31, 2018 and one unexpired term to Dec. 31, 2019): Hears and makes decisions on city income tax payments. The board, on hearing, has jurisdiction to affirm, reverse or modify any such assessment, ruling or decision or any part thereof, made by the superintendent of taxation from which an appeal has been filed as provided in the Fairborn City Income Tax Ordinances. Meets as needed.
– Community Reinvestment Area Housing Council (three unexpired terms to Dec. 31, 2019): Reviews properties that have received Community Reinvestment Area (CRA) tax abatement and assure exempted property is upholding conditions of the agreement. Meets annually.
– Mayor’s Beautification Committee (four 3-year terms and one unexpired term to 12-31-18): Serves in an advisory capacity to council and other municipal bodies in actions or matters where legal or aesthetic requirements or standards affecting the appearance of buildings and grounds are involved. Meets 7 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of each month.
– Neighborhood Betterment Council (three 3-year terms): Advises Fairborn City Council on methods of assisting the city’s low and moderate income residents, particularly through the use of Federal Community Development Block Grant Funds. Meets monthly based on members’ schedules.
– Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (five 3-year terms): Advises Fairborn City Council in matters concerning maintenance and development of city parks; reviews land dedication proposals submitted by plat developers and submits recommendations to council; assists at all special events. Meets 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month.
– Personnel Advisory Board (one 3-year term): Hears grievances of city employees in accordance with the personnel rules and regulations, reviews proposals to reclassify or establish positions within the classified services. Meets as needed.
– Planning Board (three 3-year terms): May make recommendations to the city manager and city council on all matters affecting the physical growth and development of the city; reviews proposals for new plats and requests for conditional use permits and applications for rezoning. Meets 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month as well as the fourth Tuesday as needed.
– Zoning Board of Appeals (one 5-year term): Hears and decides appeals from administrative decisions in the enforcement and interpretation of the zoning code of the city; hears petitions for variances from the zoning code where exceptions or unusual circumstances applying to the property in question exist; hears requests for variances to flood plain regulations. Meets 6 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month and as needed.
Contact the city manager’s office at 937-754-3030 for more information. Applications will be reviewed and considered by city council prior to any appointments. Applicants for hearing boards (community reinvestment area housing council, planning board and zoning board of appeals) are subject to personal interview prior to appointment.
Story courtesy of the City of Fairborn.